How to choose a waffle maker
Type of waffle iron
Waffle irons can be divided into four types:
• Classic. Two heat-resistant plates have small recesses. Suitable for baking wafers of different thicknesses – from the thinnest to the thickest.
* Cupcake boxes. Models for baking cupcakes. They have deeper recesses. Cupcakes are baked in them faster and better than in the oven.
* Hickories. Such devices are baked halves of the nuts. Just add to them the filling and glue – you get a whole nut.
* Tartlets. They are convenient to form and bake tartlets. Add any filling and garnish to taste-a delicious appetizer is ready.
Waffle makers are powered by the network, and their power is about 1000 watts. This is enough for baking. But there are also more powerful models over 2000 watts. Most often, they have a larger work surface size. You should choose based on your goals. What attracts you the most? Baking speed or efficiency of the device? On sale, there are also low-power waffle irons less than 600 watts. As a rule, these are simple models of small size. They bake more slowly than their more powerful counterparts. But this is not terrible if you bake infrequently and in small quantities.
Size and shape
Round, oval, rectangular, square, hearts or shaped like funny animals? Which one will you choose? if you:
* If you like ice cream and want to make cones, then look at the round waffle makers. Twist the horns and prepare delicious desserts.
* If you want to enjoy the sad crust of Viennese wafers, then look at the models with small corrugated panels.
* If you prefer light Belgian waffles with large squares and deeper pockets, then choose models with deep shapes of large sizes.
* If you like cooking experiments, pay attention to waffle irons with removable panels. With this device, you can use any options. But remember that these waffle irons are bigger.
* If you plan to bake occasionally, and there is a minimum of free space in the kitchen, then look at models without removable panels.
An important parameter is the size of the working surface of the device. It not only affects the size of the finished baking, but also the duration of the cooking process itself. On sale there are super-compact waffle makers, the working surface of which is 10-15 cm. the increased size of the surfaces of 15-25 cm is Convenient. Many waffle makers already come complete with removable panels. There can be up to 13 of them. This is convenient if you want to experiment in the kitchen.
On sale there are waffle makers with non-stick coating and without it. The first option is preferable. Ready-made wafers easily lag behind the forms. But do not forget that non-stick coating requires careful attitude – do not use metal appliances to get wafers. It is better to buy a wooden spatula in advance – it is convenient to remove the pastry and there is minimal risk of damaging the coating.
Waffle irons without non-stick coating are cheaper. But ready-made wafers can be damaged when they are removed, and the coating itself is less durable.
An important point when choosing a waffle iron is its body. Manufacturers offer a variety of housing options:
• Plastic. These waffle irons can be any color. They are light, beautiful, practically do not heat up and are easy to care for. But remember that they are quite fragile.
• Metal. This case is durable and easy to care for. But these waffle irons weigh more than similar devices with a plastic case. When choosing models with an attractive glossy gloss, keep in mind that even the smallest spots and finger marks are visible on it. Wipe the body of such a waffle iron will have much more often.
Different waffle irons and method of closing. They can be with a latch or with heat-insulated handles.
At first glance, the option with handles seems inconvenient – they must be kept in a closed state during the baking process. But, on the other hand, the body of waffle irons can get very hot. If you hold on to the handles, the risk of getting burned is minimal. But models with a latch should use a potholder or a towel.
Waffle irons can be completed:
• with a wafer-removing spatula;
* cone for creating wafer tubes;
* skewers for baking waffles on a stick.
Many models have a thermostat that allows you to set the desired baking temperature. These waffle irons are more convenient, and the baking is better.
An important point is the availability of indicators of operation and readiness. They are implemented in the form of colored light bulbs on the body.
When buying a waffle iron, inspect it. The frying plates should not be chipped or scratched, they should be tightly closed. Gaps and slits are not allowed.
It is better if there is a compartment where you can store the cord. This is convenient-the wire will not get in the way.
Recommendations on the choice of
The choice of waffle maker model depends largely on how often and for what purposes it will be used:
* Retro lovers and those who want to plunge into memories should look at the Soviet waffle makers. Classic for all times in a stylish metal case.
• For those who do not want to crunch and prefer soft Viennese wafers, we recommend looking at models with deep recesses for the dough. They are perfectly baked lush waffles. You will only have to pour maple syrup, condensed milk or jam on them.
* Fans of experiments and those who want to pamper the family with different desserts should pay attention to models with removable panels. Round, square, curly, thick and thin – any waffle will turn out perfectly. The main thing is to choose the right recipe.
• Those who like muffins and homemade cookies should pay attention to the cupcakes and hazelnuts. Just imagine how nice it is to treat your family with such delicious desserts.
• For those who appreciate every minute and want to cook quickly, we recommend looking at powerful models of waffle makers. In them, baking does not take much time, and the result will be pleasant to please family and friends.
Top 5 best waffle makers
Oster Belgian Waffle Maker, Stainless Steel (CKSTWF2000)
Secura Upgrade Automatic 360 Rotating Non-Stick Double Belgian Waffle Maker w/Removable Plates
Cuisinart WMR-CA Round Classic Waffle Maker, Silver, 1
Dash Mini Maker: The Mini Waffle Maker Machine for Individual Waffles, Paninis, Hash browns, & other on the go Breakfast, Lunch, or Snacks – White
Cuisinart WAF-F20 Double Belgian Waffle Maker, Stainless Steel
How to choose the best appliances for the kitchen read here: